[OM] Colour Space, a cautionary tale.

Subject: [OM] Colour Space, a cautionary tale.
From: Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:41:06 +0100
Hi All,

I was sitting at the computer at the weekend, looking at the photos I'd

just developed in Lightroom.  I was happy with the results.  I uploaded

them to my (rather disfunctional) website and thought they looked rather

dull and uninteresting in comparison.   Initially I thought it was the

gallery software I was using;  perhaps something was going wrong in the

conversion.    Swapping between the uploaded copy and the local copy, I saw

the uploaded one was significantly less vibrant, interesting and frankly,

not how it looked in the local copy.

Originall I was looking at it in Firefox,  so switched to Safari and

noticed that it seemed fine there.  *click* went the switch in my head, and

I remembered about colour profiles.  Firefox was using it's internal

profile, not that embedded in the image.  Firefox 3 can use embedded

profiles, it just chooses not to by default.  My bad. I tuned on using

embedded profiles, and it all just worked.  Everything looked as I wanted.

I went back to Lightroom, realised I had exported as AdobeRGB rather than

sRGB.   I've now fixed this and subsequent exports should be fine.

So yes.

For what it's worth, this was the set that prompted me to look into this,

though previous ones were affected too.

http://the.earth.li/~paddy/cgi-bin/range.pl?dir=april_2009_assorted_blend

p.

--
patrick-moore--[       He's YOUR God, they're YOUR rules, YOU burn in hell! ]