Re: [OM] Trip to the US?

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to the US?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:38:25 +1000
I used to go down to Cornwall every year (St Ives) for a week, sleep
rough on the beach and live on pasties and rough cider. Those
pictured on that site are very different. As he says, they were mine
food, designed to be carried down the tin mines as it was too
tiresome to come up for lunch.
The traditional 'Tiddy Oggy'  is crimped along the top and the pastry
was the package. The filling was beef or mutton and cheap veggies
like potato, turnip and swede. It was also much looser filling than
the one pictured which looks solid, like an English Pork Pie. One
variation was to put a divider in the middle and put fruit in the
other compartment, for desert. The pastry is hard, thick and the
heavy crimped edge acted as a handle, which could be discarded if
soiled by dirty hands. It was also three times the size of the one in
the picture (miners get bloody hungry). Well maybe twice - 9-10" long.
As in the UK, there is a nasty little object here sold under the name
of Pastie which is small, contains no meat and has to be dowsed in
ketchup to conceal the fact that it tastes horrible. Most people here
assume that a pastie is a small, vegetarian sort of pie and even if
the bakery makes its own and calls it a Cornish Pasty, a question
like, "What sort of meat has it got in it," is usually met with the
the kind of look reserved for idiots - I mean, it's vegetarian, right?!
Here's the source, of course -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasty
It's wrong on the Australian data of course. And the idea of 'steak'?
Pasties, like all pies, used offcuts.
I do like the look of the Mexican version, Pastes.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx