Re: [OM] Grim out there...

Subject: Re: [OM] Grim out there...
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:28:42 +0100
Jan Steinman wrote:

> Great time to buy a printer.
>
> I just got a Minolta 37ppm Postscript colour laser, with free optional
> duplexer and optional 500-page drawer for under $600, shipped. The
> retail price for this package is $1,500!
>
> The one it's replacing cost me $4,000 eight years ago.

Good bargain.

My horizon has shifted slightly. Last night on QVC (Fiona was watching;
I was computing, elsewhere...) there was an Epson 1400 A3 effort, which
wasn't particularly cheap (I can get it cheaper locally), but the fact
that she called me through to see it means she wasn't put off by the
price. So...

;-)

If the CFO is unfazed by the cost of that, maybe I can hit that 'price
point' (horrible phrase) without being hung. I'm not finding reviews
helpful, though. Alternating tales of disaster and paeans of uncritical
praise. Epsons clog; their cartridges are too small; HPs are boxy and
paper handling is dodgy; Canons are flimsy and unreliable; and expensive
to run.

As it's a huge decision for me on account of the proportion of
disposable income it will absorb, I worry about a mistake.

Now I'll have to take my medication...

D.

--
I'm a Mac, but I'm happy with my PC.