Re: [OM] E-450

Subject: Re: [OM] E-450
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:30:57 -0400
The key is the position of the mirror.  Since contrast measurement is
done with the sensor the mirror must be up and any mechanical shutter
must be open... live view.  Phase detection is done with a beam splitter
that passes light through the main mirror and then bounces it off a
small secondary underneath to a sensor in the floor of the mirror box.
Very similar to the way OM's with TTL-OTF measure exposure when the
mirror is down.

Mirror down, shutter closed = normal shooting and phase detect only.
Mirror up, shutter open = live view and contrast measurement only.

As EVF's and contrast measurement improve I think the SLR and its mirror
will go the way of the dodo bird.  The future will be in designs like
micro 4/3.  Whether micro 4/3 itself will be good enough I don't know.
But I believe it's coming eventually.  Too many cost and functional
benefits for it not to.

Chuck Norcutt