Re: [OM] back to basics

Subject: Re: [OM] back to basics
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:38:06 -0400
If you have PhotoShop just use filter->distort->lens correction.  Once
you have the image opened for lens correction just use the vertical
perspective slider.  There's also a rotation tool but its use is too
gross to use the circular slider tool.  Just type in a small number like
0.5 or (the other way) 359.5 or whatever "small" value works.

If you don't have PhotoShop and your editor doesn't support perspective
correction you can buy PTLens for $25. PTLens works as both a
stand-alone tool as well as a plug-in for PhotoShop or an external
editor for Lightroom or Aperture.  Of course, if all it did was
perspective correction (or vignetting or chromatic abberation) probably
not many people would buy it.  It real value is in correcting barrel and
pincushion distortion customized by distortion profiles for specific
lenses.  If the database doesn't include your lenses you can send the
author test images (instructions for doing so included).  The author
will calibrate the lens from your test shots and add it to the database.
<http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html>

I think you were fairly well square with the wall horizontally but
pointing the camera slightly down.  Pointing down causes the sides of a
building or wall to angle out.  Pointing up (as you always see on tall
buildings) causes the sides to angle in.

I don't normally comment on images showing perspective distortion.  Most
folks don't even notice it.  But this image is very much an
"architectural" image and, I think, deserves the full architectural
treatment.  In architectural work perspective and distortion correction
are expected.

ps:  That was a compliment.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt