Re: [OM] Split image screen for 5DII

Subject: Re: [OM] Split image screen for 5DII
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:52:24 -0500

> Has Your Pithiness noticed that Oly forgot once they went digi? Or does
> your E-1 work differently than everybody else's?

Of course, and I've launched plenty of fireworks over this very thing.

> Hmmm. Might a half silvered mirror section interfere with AF? Without
> that, no TTL spot metering in the mirror box.

I suspect that the one and only reason why they didn't incorporate it is
strictly because of autofocus.  The submirror that is used in the OM bodies
is used for the autofocus.  Where the exposure sensor was in the floor of
the OM mirror chamber, that spot is now taken up with the AF sensor module.

I believe that this is a temporary situation as the manufacturers will
slowly start migrating away from phase-detection AF to contrast-detection AF
using the primary sensor in an "always live-view" mode with a semi-silvered
primary mirror with no sub-mirror. At that point there will be no need for
separate exposure sensors anywhere in the camera.

AG