Re: [OM] Scanning/sampling

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning/sampling
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:17:12 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Wayne,

> If I have a scanner which has a native resolution of 4800 ppi but I then scan
> at 1200
ppi, how is that handled by the scanner ?  Does the scanner just use 1 pixel of
each 4
or does it average over the 4 pixels ?

Very much depends on the scanner is to if it averages the pixel value
down to the value required, or drops pixels, as well as adjusts the
scanner speed.

I keep several scanners here, including an aging HP 4C SCSI
model as each has there advantages (4C is bigger that A4) etc,
and which one I chose depends on what resolution I need.

The USB scanner I keep by my main PC is only 300dpi as that
is really all you need most of the time, and I tend to always scan
at a scanners native resolution to overcome anything introduced
by firmware. I like my original scan to always be at max quality
as that is what I archive off.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

This message transmitted from a 100% Microsoft free system.