Re: [OM] Setting up photo storage on 2+ hard drives

Subject: Re: [OM] Setting up photo storage on 2+ hard drives
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:39:39 -0400
Just fire up two copies of whatever is doing the copying with each going
to a different destination.  However, if you do that you may well create
a read access bottleneck to the source drive. That might be alleviated
somewhat with a largish cache assuming the two software copies are
relatively synchronized in the files they're accessing such that the
data is still in the cache.  But it could be a bit troublesome if the
source drive is also your main drive and has other activity going on.

I think I'd just do a sequential operation by copying from X to Y and
then from Y to Z.  It will probably take more elapsed time but you
wouldn't bottleneck X and as long as Y and Z aren't in the critical time
path for other apps you shouldn't care.

Try it both ways and see which wins and which causes the least
interference to other goings on.

Chuck Norcutt