[OM] Warmer? Cooler? [was IMG: March 1st Snow in Mid-South]

Subject: [OM] Warmer? Cooler? [was IMG: March 1st Snow in Mid-South]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:25:45 -0400
'Fraid I'll have to don my "I agree with Moose" T-shirt again.  Many
examples of "Chaos" in biology and physics that have been sorted at
least to some degree.  The branching of retinal vessels and crystal
growth appear to be fractal to a certain scale at least.  "Nonlinear
dynamics" have led to a better understanding of turbulence and a
simplified model of convection rolls which are used in climate models.
IIRC that was Lorentz with the "strange attractors."  Would not assume
the climate would behave like an ocean liner with small perturbations
steering it slowly.  I think the historical record and most models
refute that---aided by the early work of Lorentz et al.  Many
mathematicians and  some engineers were initially  irritated with the
likes of Mendelbrot.

A struggling to avoid CHAOS in the office daily,

Mike

I've obviously simplified my example, but I maintain that Chaos Theory
is

> poor science and a way of saying "There is something weird going on
here that