Re: [OM] Black Pen FT bodies - real or ersatz

Subject: Re: [OM] Black Pen FT bodies - real or ersatz
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:59:56 -0400
Martin Walters said the following on 3/10/09 12:30 PM:
> I've resisted buying a black FT, because of the price premium, and
> because I'd read (somewhere)that black bodies are easily faked. Lot of
> $$ for nothing, if it's a fake.
>
> This listing on Eb*y (160320350973)complicates things further. While the
> finish looks excellent, it seems to me that it makes buying a genuine
> black body in really good condition a crap shoot.
>
> Are there any ways to tell genuine from repro?

A black conversion or respray almost always leaves some signs although they
might be difficult to spot from a photo.  In this particular case the controls
on a real black FT such as the film advance lever, shutter release, etc.,
aren't
painted, they're anodized for durability.  It'll be obvious when examining the
parts in person if they're painted black or anodized black (wipe some acetone
on
them if in doubt :-).  Other signs would be signs of wear on the rest of the
body parts such as the lens mount and film rails.  A pristine exterior paint
should be matched with a pristine body.
                                -mark