[OM] EVF-- the plot thickens

Subject: [OM] EVF-- the plot thickens
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 22:55:19 -0500
Thanks for your comments.  Can't say I disagree with anything.  To say
some of Samsung's efforts were lackluster would be generous.
They have ambitious goals and perhaps they will quickly ascend the
learning curve.  Less fancy engineering should be necessary
with the larger sensor.  No EVF really necessary for a horse cam either.

The GH1 has a different sensor than the G1 as well.  Can't wait to see
how the IQ shapes up with these new offerings.
Mike

Sure, but which one? Mike had a piece on this on TOP. Comments covered
pretty broad range of preferences. As least one agreed with me that I
can do without an EVF at all. A first rate tilt and twist LCD is good
enough, if it allows a much smaller form factor. For others, the lack
of
a "peer-through" reflex or EVF finder is a deal breaker.

I hope Oly comes up with a compelling alternative vision to Panny's. I
suspect they will go the other way as, unlike Panny, they have
important
DSLRs in the general size range and similar form factor as the G1 that
they won't want to cannibalize.

As between E-620 and G1, I think the G1 is already so unpocketable that
the small additional size of the E-620 isn't very significant. Hard to
say without handling both side by side. Assuming the 620 sensor is of
the same ilk as the G1's and Oly does at least as well with processing
as Panny with it, the 620 may be a very compelling camera.

Announced as body only, so far. I wonder what lens they will package it
with as a kit? 14-43 seems a bit down market in build quality and 14-54
II will make the kit pricey.

> New 14-140mm for Panny G1 or newer GH1 as well.

Ha! I predicted here that the 14-140 would be designed especially for
video, and so it is.

Moose