Re: [OM] TOPE 37: new entry

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 37: new entry
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:15:38 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

> Perhaps we should see the positive side of not leaving written words: each
> photograph could be considered as an <Opera Aperta > in the sense Umberto Eco
> defines it: free to the understanding of the observer:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umberto_Eco#Books_on_philosophy

I agree with the principal, but don't see how it is a problem with TOPE
comments. The way the pages are arranged, I don't see comments until I
scroll/page down. I almost always have a pretty clear idea of how I
relate to an image before I go on to look at comments.

Not often, but sometimes, a comment will cause a significant "aha" that
opens up something I hadn't noticed and changes my relationship to the
image. That seems to me to be a worthwhile learning experience.

Of course, living with an image for a long time can also lead to
reassessments, but that's not likely to happen to me with TOPE images. I
don't leave individual images up on my screen that long.

> Anyway, I miss the times when people wrote three or four comments - they were
> invaluable to me in 2002-2003.
>
> Hope not anyone here prefers not to make a comment just because it might be
> felt as rude by the author. I think we list are hard skinned and well humored
> to make profit of such a situation.
> As a matter of fact, it should be much more profitable for the photographer
> to read a 'rude' comment.

I'm not sure "rude" is quite the English word you are looking for.
"Rude" implies to me an intention to offend. I suspect you are referring
to comments that may criticize some aspect(s) of an image, with or
without positive comments on other aspects.

I agree that most list members and TOPE participants seem open to
constructively meant criticism, although I'm not sure it applies to all.
A lesser problem, but one that has occurred on occasion is
mis-understanding based on language. As a multi-lingual group
communicating in only one, there are inevitable mis-writings and
mis-readings.

Moose