Re: [OM] [IMG] tormenta de verano en la bahía de Maldonado [ afterthough

Subject: Re: [OM] [IMG] tormenta de verano en la bahía de Maldonado [ afterthoughts ].
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:20:29 -0300
Thanks a lot for your comments and suggestions Bob, Mike :-)

Perhaps an anecdote can be told, one most of us have surely suffered.
This is the beach where I go every summer. Since long, there were lots
of pine trees growing there, where now only one remains.
I have photographed this survivor several times. That afternoon
everything felt as if the dryness of January was about to suddenly stop.
I felt it was stopping at that very moment, so calmly put my trekker in
the trunk, and drove slowly a few streets down to the beach.
Looked at the storm while growing, chose the lens, crossed route 10 and
started exploring my pine tree with the 24. I obviously knew beforehand
that the sun would appear from under the clouds, and was waiting for
that moment when it started to rain on the sea. Spot metered the rain
close to the sea surface, five - six times perhaps, don't know. Framed
as carefully as I could, avoiding a big blue truck at my right, and shot
up from the ground from the back of a small red Peugeot - a tight shot
indeed.
Hadn't counted that only four frames remained, and later discovered that
they suffered minor damage at the lab. Fortunately, the first one was
not only the better composed and metered, but was not damaged at all.

No film to load in my trekker - Velvia was in the fridge ... . The sun
started to show up from the bottom of the clouds, while the rain was
heavily plunging :-(.
While storing everything back I suddenly realized that I had my digital
Stylus in the dashboard !! - better than nothing I thought, and crossed
back route 10 while deciding to zoom into the sun and its reflection on
the rain-wet water.

This is one of the .jpg the list helped me to recover, after accidental
deletion ( never take a portrait of your 15 year only-daughter without
her approval !! - being her father is no excuse ;-) )

1024 x 769 - ( hope I didn't show it already ).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fernando_gonzalez_gentile/3264896540/sizes/l/

> To my eye it interrupts
> the curving flow of the tree.

It does, to my eye too. Tried as much as I could to make a different
composition. Problem is even worse there: the branch superimposes over
the rocky hill of Punta Ballena. Doubt about my cloning-out abilities ....
I noticed that when shooting: wanted Punta Ballena to be distinctly seen
:-(
It was a tight shot, despite how well I know the area.

I will keep on working on this, I don't want clipping highs - now I want
to see Punta Ballena curved horizon back from the right of my pine :-)

Fernando.