Re: [OM] Which zoom lens - 40-150 or 70-300?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which zoom lens - 40-150 or 70-300?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:31:15 -0600

> Is this recommendation due to the longer reach, or better
> quality of the 70-300 over the 40-150 3.5?  I still wonder how
> much of the longer reach will be usable on a handheld E-1.

Longer reach.  On the E-1, it should balance very well. I can easily
handhold the Zuiko 300/4.5, but not the Tokina AT-X 100-300.

In an unrelated list message yesterday, Ken said "Me thinks
> Olympus actually did put Image-Stabilization in that E-1."  I
> agree that I can sometimes pull off pictures on the E-1 with
> slower shutter speeds than I could on my OM2n, but not much.
> Should I bring a monopod?  Would it help or hurt on a ship
> running its engines?

I'd bring the monopod, but on the ship you do run into the potential of
engine-born vibration. This varies so much on the ship, though. Some ships
you can't even feel any vibration, other ones the propeller cavitation will
make all photography nearly impossible. I'd definitely bring it because you
won't be on the ship the entire time. and some monopods make great walking
sticks, anyway.

AG