[OM] Rather strange 50/1.4 question (usage as loupe)

Subject: [OM] Rather strange 50/1.4 question (usage as loupe)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:51:43 +0200
Hi All,

Can somebody explain this to me: I have two versions of the OM Zuiko
50/1.4 -
an *ancient* sivernosed one with a low serial number (that first
version that
truly sucks for resolution wide open) and a mint copy of the latest >
1,1 mil
version, which fights it out with the 90/2.0 for being permanently
attached to
the OM-1n, and has superb optical performance.

Since I don't have a proper loupe, I have a habit of using a fast 50
for a loupe (makes a pretty
good one). For some reason, the OLD silvernose 50/1.4 makes a
brilliant, crisp loupe which is
a pleasure to use, whereas the new (optically better) 50/1.4
absolutely sucks: It appears to render
an image of completely the wrong dioptre, it's like putting on the
wrong glasses: Everything is blurred
and it strains the eyes.

Can anybody explain this phenomenon? Has anybody seen it before? I re-
iterate the my new 50 is optically
visibly superior to the old 50 in terms of the images it renders on
film, so there is nothing wrong with
the lens.

Off-topic, I know... But has anybody seen this?