Re: [OM] Press Release: Christopher Crawford Productions

Subject: Re: [OM] Press Release: Christopher Crawford Productions
From: Iwert <zuikooh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:04:51 +0100
Chris,

this is a very fine story. Indeed, sometimes the most interesting
things are nextdoors and a bull-dozer is needed to come in action :)

When I looked at the picture I had a completely different setting in
mind. I thought it was a drying kind of barn, because the light is
coming in so beautifully through the planks of the ceiling. I thought
it was a simple structure out in the fields!

I'm working at the "restauration and conservation" section of the
university of Delft/architecture, and it is amazing to see what is
thrown away or broken down. Otoh, I sometimes feel we are too romatic
a bunch of people liking all these "old things". I like these things
not only because of beauty (sometimes they're not), but mostly
because of the way things are made, with attention to detail, and to
last a long time.
That is a quality which seems to be forgotten in our society and in
particular with a whole big bunch of architects, but most certainly
not all! Sergison Bates, Peter St-John in the UK, Zumthor in Swiss,
Miller & Maranta, Pierre Hebbelinck just nextdoors. Pierre just gave
a "walking lecture" in our school about one fine project in the south
of our country (<http://architectuur.phlimburg.be/krantje/2009/
massalezing%20hebbelinck.pdf>) Where you can still feel the attention
for detail, but in a contemporary way.

Getting off topic here :)  Just to say that it is a pity that
interesting things are disappearing, and it is even more a pitty not
replacing them with things better (but what is that: better?).

To me, the image got even better (haha) knowing this story behind it!

Iwert

Op 21-feb-09, om 02:10 heeft Chris Crawford het volgende geschreven: