Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: four countries

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: four countries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:08:12 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Just been watching 'In Bruges' - would love to photograph that, without the
> gunfire of course.

We just watched that. I was quite unprepared for what it is. The review
quotes on the cover all talked about how humorous it is. I believe one
even said 'hilarious'. I heard individual funny lines, but certainly
wouldn't characterize it as humorous or a "dark comedy". Perhaps I'm
missing some crucial part of my funny bone.

As a dark character study, I think it's a pretty good film up 'til near
the end. Certainly I thought Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson did some
excellent acting. His part didn't give Ralph Fiennes room to use much of
his talent.

On the other hand, did I really need to watch some very violent people
go about such a shabby life? One is sorry about some of it, another
tries to transform, they all end up bloodily dead, with a couple of
innocent bystanders dead as well. What fun!

I was groaning ast the end approached. Accidental shooting of a kid
starts the story. Bad guy has said it's fine, laudable, really, to kill
adults who deserve it, but you can't kill kids and get away with it.
Midget (whatever) dressed as kid appears as it comes toward climax. Why
bother watching the inevitable? At least then I knew why the gratuitous
dwarf was wandering about in the plot earlier.

But I did, and it was as bad as I expected. The big bad guy values some
kids' lives over those of his family. What a wonderful sense of honor.
What a putz. I suppose his kids are better off without him? Killing
himself in a mistake is ironic, I suppose? But who cares.

I hope the cut to black at the end means Ray dies too. He'll have a
better chance next time he manages to reincarnate as a human than living
on.

And what's that about "dum-dum", "hollow point" bullets, and then scads
of them go right through the Ray and he keeps on going like the
energizer bunny and is alive to be taken into an ambulance. That many
shots of that kind would have left his whole upper body in tatters
They'd have to pick him up in buckets. Gratuitous writing stupidity.
There was just no need for that tiny bit when Harry buys the gun. How
does such a load go through him and then kill the dwarf? It's whole
point is to expend all its momentum in the first hit.

I guess my hero is the pregnant landlady who won't give in to them. Good
thing for her Harrry didn't have any medical training. He'd have killed
her and saved her child with a Caesarian.

Ah, that feels better. Thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest.

Moose