[OM] IMG: Painting Question

Subject: [OM] IMG: Painting Question
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:13:04 -0600
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I know there are a lot of photographers out there that are knowledgeable of the
art world.  I have a question about the painting depicted in the attached link.

This painting was given to my Mother many years ago by an elderly aunt who
lived in central Kentucky.  I have always assumed that it was painted by a
local artist, but had no luck tracing the source.  When it came into my hands
about twenty years ago, the frame was in need of refinishing, so I disassembled
the painting to work on the frame.  What I discovered was that the canvas was
wrapped around and glued to a sheet of glass.  At some point, the glass had
been severely cracked.  I carefully assembled all of the glass pieces and taped
up the glass to hold it all together.

My question is this:  Is this a common practice, backing up canvas with glass?
I have never encountered it before.

The painting is shown here:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Painting.jpg.html

Comments and answers welcomed.