Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 22:46:23 -0300
Andrew, I am of those who think English language is an easy language -
at least when written and out of Literature level.

And yes, there are several very distinct forms of Spanish.
Spanish is difficult: this summer I happened to read two novels by
Gabriel García Márquez: "Cien Años de Soledad" which I had read for the
first time in 1974, and "Vivir para Contarla". I'm not a fan of GGM, but
found his last novel ( 2002 ) outstanding - despite there were complete
sentences I didn't understand !! - several nouns and adjectives I had
never read before, all in one sentence. I bet this wouldn't happen even
with the "Ulysses". If I turn to spoken Spanish, I do think that Pedro
Almodóvar films need subtitles: I'm almost convinced that I understand
spoken French better. A former list member who became a friend of mine,
lives at Almería, Spain - and very frequently I have to ask him what
does he mean by this or that, and we laugh a lot.

Here at this list I enjoyed when someone corrected my Latin when I wrote
"Et tu, Brutus" instead of "Et tu, Brute".
I felt it was an obvious joke my correction to David's written English,
but put emoticons and anything just in case - and wrote him privately
too. None of us are native English speakers, but both consider ourselves
native Spanish speakers. Isn't it funny that me, who never walked on any
English-speaking country, 'dares' to correct another native Spanish
speaker on English grammar matter? Perhaps it's not, but I still think
it was a very amusing situation - perhaps because I'm one of those who
always think I should know better :-)

Fernando.