Re: [OM] ISO may not be accurate

Subject: Re: [OM] ISO may not be accurate
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:39:24 -0500
At 10:46 PM 1/29/2009, C.H.Ling wrote:

>There should be a standard to measure the ISO for digital cameras, I believe
>it check the grey rendering. For example, the grey card should read 128 (?)
>if properly exposed.

IIRC the number for a Kodak gray card is 117, not 128.  It has to do
with the gray card having an 18% reflectance and viewing the file in
a 2.2 gamma color space.  A Google search would probably turn up the formula.

There's also been talk for years of Canon (and some others) using 12%
gray instead of 18% for meter calibration.  Here's a link to an old
article by Tom Hogan on the subject:

<http://www.bythom.com/graycards.htm>

Later,
Johnny