Re: [OM] Shooting candids [was OM-5D II mini review]

Subject: Re: [OM] Shooting candids [was OM-5D II mini review]
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:28:51 -0800

>  -- with their knowledge and approval, of course.
For me a key condition if the photographer is intruding into the
subjects personal space.

 I also note that personal space varies quite a bit from place to place
and time to time. Here in a rural setting people can claim a lot of
territory for themselves. But at the local Farmer's Market for example I
might get away with some subjective photography. I find the personal
space in the urban setting of US cities disconcertingly small. And in
general the personal space in much of the world is substantially smaller
than the average in the US. Some places it is practically nil.

I found some of CH's images of the market interesting and not at all
objectionable The subjects seemed perfectly comfortable with the
camera's presence.

Here is another example of an image that IMO is trite, exploitative and
frankly just not very good.
<http://www.jbuhler.com/photos/index.php?album=portfolio&image=IMGP8752.jpg>
On the other hand some of Buhler's images do meet the above criteria.

Mike