Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 3, Issue 44

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 3, Issue 44
From: Mark_Jennings@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:08:21 -0500

Re: [OM] 300mm & 400mm Zuiko

Darin wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting a lens in the 300mm to 400mm range and was
wondering what you all think of the Zuikos in that range? I know the Great
White 350mm is supposed to be a great lens, but that would be way beyond my
means. Any thoughts?

> Darin

Darin,

As a guy who loves wildlife photography, I have or have had all of the big
OM Zuikos over 300mm at one time or another.  The only one I never owned
was the 1000/11.  I used to have a 300/4.5 and liked it a lot.  Compact
size combined with outstanding image quality.  I would highly recommend it.
I eventually sold mine though and bought a used 350/2.8, and the image
quality was really beyond anything I'd ever seen.  I still have that lens
and use it frequently on my E-510.  The images have a special quality to
them that I can't really describe.  But at the price that lens commands
even today, you almost feel as though you must coddle it and never try to
blemish it.  About five years ago, I purchased what I think is the least
publicized outstanding telephoto lens of all time -  the Tamron 400/4.  I
found a used one for about $750 and immediately sent it to Tamron for a
thorough cleaning and tune up.  For about $900 total investment including
the Adaptall 2 mount, that lens is the best telephoto I've ever used dollar
for dollar.  It isn't huge and heavy like the big white Zuiko and you save
thousands of dollars in cost.  It works beautifully when combined with the
Olympus 1.4xa.  If you can find one of those lenses with good glass, buy
it!!  Don't worry about exterior cosmetics.  Mine looks like it was dragged
behind a car, but the glass is perfect.  And Tamron cleaned and lubed the
action for me.  Its works as good now as it did new 20 years ago.  The
Tamron 400/4 is simply one of the best telephoto lenses ever made by any
manufacturer.

Mark Jennings

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this
 message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,
 distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy
 the e-mail and any attachments or copies.