Re: [OM] More on noise E3 - iso 3200

Subject: Re: [OM] More on noise E3 - iso 3200
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:40:21 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> I was fighting with this over the weekend as I was shooting some
> sunset clouds.  As it turns out I got pretty good exposures, but I was
> reviewing the session in my mind afterwards and have decided to begin
> using the bracketing feature on my E-3.  This is a feature I have
> never used on a digital camera and I haven't shot brackets since my
> last roll of Velvia.  But typically I am finding in these situations
> that I have been trying different exposure methods and shooting
> multiples, which amounts to the same thing as bracketing without using
> the camera smarts provided for it.
>
> I just hope that bracketing works in conjunction with AEL.

Hi Joel,

I have my main mode set up for manual adjustment of exposure with the
AEL/AFL button assigned to focus (manual mode 3). In this way I ran a
test with auto exposure bracketing set to 1 stop. I took my first
exposure aimed out the window at 1/100th of a sec then turned the camera
inside in a darkened room and took two more shots where one was at
1/50th and the other at 1/200th with aperture staying constant. Since
I'm in manual mode, I expected the first meter reading to be reference
for the remaining exposures.

Doing the same test in SAF mode 1, I need to hold down the AEL button
during all three exposures while in aperture priority mode to lock the
first exposure as reference and get the appropriate bracketing for the
remaining two.

Richard

--
Richard Lovison Photography