Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] OT-LCD Monitor
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:17:40 +0000
I have the dell ultrasharp 2408FPW.
Its a very good monitor, but not cheap. I like the ability to rotate
it's orientation.
Unlike a lot of monitors and particularly LCD TVs I have seen I don't
detect any compression in the dark or light colours and grey scales look
good on it.

I calibrated it with a spyder 2 pro and looking at the final rgb curves
(original un-calibrated, correction applied and remeasured after the
calibration) in the spyder software, the only issue was too much blue in
the very dark colours - Which was corrected by the calibration anyway.
The curves where very smooth.

I agree the dark colours do change considerably with viewing angle. I
also think there is about half a stop light fall off between the extreme
corners and the centre. I was amazed at the shadow detail compared to my
previous CRT monitor (even after it was calibrated). It also has a wide
range of connectors and comes with a good range of wires too (DVI, HDMI,
dSub vga). The built in card reader may be useful but is not that fast
(got one already). The stand is sturdy and I have zero pixel problems
after 6 months or so use.
James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo