Re: [OM] Flight Woes (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Flight Woes (OT)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:52:05 -0500
But they are fun to watch.  I spent a couple hours on the Nimitz one
night several years ago watching night flight operations... totally
mesmerized.  But it was a little disappointing in one respect.  I'd seen
films of F-14s during night takeoffs with long blue flame tails blasting
out from the afterburners.  But not from F/A-18s.  Nothing visible at
all until the angle was such that you could look up the pipe.  Maybe
there's enough power that afterburner isn't required for takeoff with
that aircraft?  But the catapults were certainly working.  I know
because I was trying to sleep not far away.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt