Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:20:53 -0500
At 08:31 PM 1/23/2009, you wrote:
>As I said, I don't disagree with anything you've said... even though I
>can't for the life of me hear the difference between a vinyl record and
>a CD and never could even when my hearing was much better than it is
>today.  :-)

Yeah, I'm gett'n too old to know what the difference is either.
I studied speaker design in my early days. In college I built some
15 inch woofers in a 1 cubic meter sized box. That's big. We had
some nice parties too, something age has also had an effect on.

Speaker distortion is directly related to how much movement is
required of the diaphragm. So I think anything people attribute to
the difference between digital and analog is orders of magnitude
below the distortion the speaker contributes to sound. I think it is
really more that big speakers aren't made any more. Instead you
get these sub-woofer boxes that sound horrible. So I don't listen
to any argument about vinyl versus digital. What were the speakers?
Also, I don't trust memory, especially my own.

Wayne