Re: [OM] Repair dented 24mm f/2.0 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Repair dented 24mm f/2.0 ?
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:37:04 -0500
Dawid,

Sorry to hear about your accident. As CH notes to disassemble the front of
the lens you will need to remove the ID ring which will require the threads
to be straightened as it uses the filter threads.

I have had good success working dents out of filter rings with a hardwood
dowel rod and a model making hammer (very, very light weight). You may find
you need to taper the tip of the dowel so it can fit into the thread edge
snuggly. I found that working from the outside edges of the dent is best so
you avoid stretching the metal out too much. Working slowly is also
essential. Hold the lens in one hand and brace the dowel across the lens
with your thumb will allow you to absorb some of the shock of each blow.
Obviously you are working right near the glass so a firm grip is essential,
as is careful cleaning after you are done! As you work with the dowel you
may have to cut its tip off and re-taper (depends on how hard the wood is).
As you start to get the dent out periodically test mounting a filter will
reveal if you have gone far enough.

An alternative to the hand holding method I describe is to make a jig up to
hold the lens with a cut out that matches the curve of the barrel. More work
for a one off but perhaps less hair raising.

Best of luck, Dan S.