Re: [OM] The Zeppelin is Coming!

Subject: Re: [OM] The Zeppelin is Coming!
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:16:22 -0600

> I've never  been that low (except for approaching to land); the normal
> minimum is 80m (250ft) although I have been authorised to practise at
> 100ft min in the UK, Canada and USA (Nevada ranges).  Normal cruise
> speed at low level for us was 480mph (420kts); but I've been faster on
> every trip, up to 575mph (500kts) for level bombing attacks.
>
> Yes, I'd love to do that again, but the price would be 4 months away
> from home every year ...

When I was growing up in Michigan, we would vacation up north in the Upper
Peninsula. There were two air bases in the area:  K.I. Sawyer and Kincheloe.
Also, the Air National Guard had a squadron in Alpena. They all were rather
aggressive in those days with flying under the radar. Of course, you have to
understand that the terrain is rather, uh, flat in the eastern U.P. More
than once we were fishing on Muskallunge Lake when a pair of fighters
appeared over the trees and dropped down almost to the surface of the water.
I think they they took perverse pride in scaring the fishermen.

A few years ago I talked with somebody that was in SAC at the time and he
told me that the three bases tried to sneak up on each other and then do a
pop up right outside the base boundary.

AG