Re: [OM] dance photo shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] dance photo shoot
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:00:52 -0600

> Sounds like you need a camera with a better auto-focus system.

Well, I don't doubt that, however, in this very specific situation:

1. Subject is off-center.
2. Subject is moving in three-dimensions
3. Conrast is such that AF will pick up the profile of the body, not the
face
4. Shutter-release Priority
5. Stage-lighting
6. "Decisive moment"  is critical,

I'd be less inclined to trust AF to be successful more often than not.  The
constant "zip-zip" of the AF is enough to drive a person to drink.  If you
notice the focal-lengths used, the AF is working pretty extensively in a
wide range of distances.

I would love to have the ability in this dance situation to be able to use
flash lighting.  I'd wirelessly fire a pair of strobes mounted in the
lighting grid.

AG