Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners

Subject: Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challengesbeta: Firstwinners
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:01:17 -0800
> From: "Sue Pearce"
>
> As I understood it w hen I used an Epson printer, you fed it 360
> because
> that was easily multiplied up to the printer resolution and sped up
> the
> process, and eliminated some possible artifacts as the printer rip
> worked on
> the file. It didn't have anyt hing to do with resolution.

I believe such information is dated. Printer drivers that use
techniques like stochastic dithering or error diffusion -- basically,
fancy words for "including an element of randomness" -- don't show
moiré artifacts like earlier printer drivers did, and have smoother
gradients, as well.

It may well be true that more sophisticated RIP algorithms take up
more processor time, but again, that may have been more of an impact
when a really hot machine was running at 250MHz.

:::: Conflict cannot survive without your participation. -- Wayne
Dyer ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::