Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones

Subject: Re: [OM] OT--A few New Ones
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:22:59 -0500
 From the "Be Careful Out There" Department. The home page picture on
my site was taken into a 30 knot wind. Temp was 20 degrees F., give
or take (most likely take). I had been standing on an exposed rock
for more than an hour, shooting in the other direction. I thought I
was properly dressed. As the sun set, some really spectacular skies
began to take shape. I knew the 70-200 was not the lens I needed.

But as I started to switch to the 24-70, I realized I couldn't. My
body was too locked up from standing for more than an hour in a wind
chill of about 1 degree F. My extremities would not obey the commands
necessary to kneel, shelter camera from the wind, and effect a lens
change. I found myself uncharacteristically confused, even for me.
After all, changing lenses is not exactly rocket science. My muscles
know how to do that, even in utter darkness. But not this day. So I
abandoned any opportunity to get the other sky pictures, and began
picking my way back to the car over bounders of assorted sizes. The
tide also had been coming in, and in a few places that had been dry
coming out, I found water blocking my path. There were plenty of
alternate routes, but it took my fuzzy brain a few moments to
actually track them and get my body headed in the right direction.

Never been so happy to see my car. Or to get in and turn it on and
blast the heater on high all the way home, a 20-minutes drive. Even
after a hot shower I was cold. Even after a cup of coffee, I was cold.

In hindsight, I suppose I thought I was adequately dressed, but
wasn't. I also made the mistake of standing still for long minutes at
a time, moving nothing more than my trigger finger, with an
occasional reframing of the shot. Sadly, none of those pictures save
the home-page shot have made the cut.

So for those of you in extreme climes. Be Careful Out There!

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com