Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:20:53 +0000
Thanks, Jan.  Frank showed me where my email address was exposed,
albeit in non-standard form.

And thank you for your kind offer of your PHP system.  Unfortunately,
it would cost me extra to set up SQL databases on this server, and
anyway I must spruce up my website overall, now that you have cast a
cold, hard light on it (:-)).

I shall (somehow) work out how to log-in to my Singapore admin page
(forgotten the details) and remove the address.  However, the minimal
obfuscation in seems to have prevented any unwanted attention from
spammers (fingers crossed).
On 13 Jan 2009, at 18:22, Jan Steinman wrote:

> Perhaps Singapore (your gallery system) could add form-based contact.
> It really works well. No address, obfuscated or not, is exposed to the
> Internet. Singapore is written in PHP, and there are many open-source
> form-based emailers available. If you know something about website
> stuff, I could send you the one I wrote, which installs easily. It's
> pretty basic, but does the job. It currently requires MySQL (all email
> is logged in a database), but I could hack that out for you, since
> Singapore doesn't use a database.
>       http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Email.php
>
> Once someone contacts you via form email, you have their address, and
> can decide if you want to reply, and thus give them yours.
>
>> perhaps we had better stop corresponding.  We're just making
>> each other testy.
>
> It's been my experience that breaking off communication never improves
> things.
>
> I apologize for SHOUTING at you, and for any testiness I may have
> caused you to experience.

> My "testiness" was not directed at you. It was just my frustration at
> my being inadequate in presenting my case, and not having the time to
> conclusively prove it. The only thing worse than hearing someone else
> say, "Just trust me on this," is not having others do so! :-)

Thank you for your generosity of spirit, Jan.  I must confess that I
might have responded similarly in the circumstances, from the other
side as it were.  I'm sorry for having been a little obstinate in my
arguments.

Now, to improve my website ...

Chris