Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:35:57 -0800
> From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Recently I created a new yahoo email address.  I sent out absolutely
> no
> emails from it.  A totally virgin email with no send activity
> whatsoever.
> Within two days, it had nearly 50 spam messages in it.

Naw, you posted one message in your sleep to the OM list, and someone
quoted it! THAT's the reason! :-)

Thanks for the experiment. I didn't realize it was THAT bad! But my
experience leads me to believe that having your email in the message
body or not makes about 0.00001% difference.

The problem in your case is obviously that Yahoo Email is leaky. It
would be interesting to try that with other free email services.

I run my own mail server for a number of domain names, and have
created quite a number of email addresses that (for whatever reason)
don't get used. Most of them never get any spam, so the spammers
aren't getting addresses via magic. But I have created a very few
accounts with common names ("jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx," "bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx,"
etc.) that ended up getting spam, so there is a certain amount of shot-
gunning going on.

:::: Hydrogen power will dramatically reduce greenhouse gas
admissions. -- George W. Bush ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::