Re: [OM] New SD Memory card spec 2Tb

Subject: Re: [OM] New SD Memory card spec 2Tb
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:44:30 -0800
Wayne Harridge wrote:
>> Larry G. Griffin <lggriffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> card. To put things in perspective, a 2TB SDXC memory card can store 100 HD
>> movies, 60 hours of HD recordings or 17,000 high-quality photos.
>>

> Just one of those cards would probably be sufficient for a lifetime of images
> for many people !

Not here. I maxed out a couple of 500GB drives and now have a 1.5TB
along with one of the 500GBs to give some growth room. The problem isn't
so much the digital camera files, although they continue to grow, but
the scans of old film, which can be quite large, especially the MF.
Fortunately, I have a limited number of those.

As I go back in time, lower dpis are sufficient to capture all that's on
the film, which will help. Nothing like scanning decades old film at
4000 dpi to highlight how much film improved over the years.
Contemporary color neg film has detail that it takes a multiple pass
scan on my scanner to bring out fully. Go back a few years to some slide
film, and there's nothing there to benefit from more than 3200 dpi, and
2700 is really sufficient.

Moose