[OM] BFTP [was Frosty Photos]

Subject: [OM] BFTP [was Frosty Photos]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 20:45:12 -0800
Ian Nichols wrote:
> We don't see -25 deg.C very often in the UK, and never here in the South
> West; best we can usually manage is about -5 and, once or twice per Winter, a
> light covering of snow.  We did have a cold spell a couple of weeks ago, so I
> took the E-3 and 50/2 macro out into the grounds early (for me - anything
> less than an hour after sunrise just
> isn't photogenic) on a Sunday morning to take some shots.
>
> www.ian955.fotopic.net

I really enjoyed these. As a matter of choice, I am almost never at any
place/time where I could see such things for myself.

I liked the subjects and compositions of them all, but 700 stood out to
me for the different perspective.

On technical issues as they affect me, F4 just didn't give enough DOF to
fully satisfy my taste in 696, 704-707, 714 & 717. The DOF advantage of
the smaller sensor wasn't enough to offset the DOF effects of close
focus, or something like that.

To me, 707 cries out to be cropped to a horizontal the full width of the
image, losing most of the top and enough of the bottom to give a 4:3
proportion. That would not only cut off the in-your-face OOF, but focus
on the more interesting, to me, part.

The OOF rear part of 714 works for me, but I'd prefer the front wing to
be in focus. I may well like OOF parts of the primary subject in this
kind of subject less than others do.

Thanks,
  Moose