Re: [OM] More managed bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] More managed bokeh
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:29:45 +0200
It may be a bit off-topic, but allow me to show a couple of examples
of the
lens which I have the most bokeh experience with, the Canon EF 50mm f/
1.2L:

http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/The-road-to-obscurity-76168891
http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/The-Wrong-Era-74873910
http://philosomatographer.deviantart.com/art/A-growing-loneliness-69292444

Since the bloody enlarger is not fixed yet, from peering at negatives
it seems as
if the Zuiko 90/2.0 gives it a go, but I will only be able to tell
when I look
at decent prints. But not that many lenses (especially at shorter
focal lengths) have
this kind of smooth bokeh - which alwasy seems to enhance the "depth"
of an image.

While I do consider it a fact that many lenses have distinctly more or
less pleasing
out-of-focus blur, it does indeed also rely on the shooting conditions
and
(especially) the distances involved.

For example, the Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro, while a basically perfect
lens, did not have
nearly the same pleasing bokeh as either EF 50/1.2 or Zuiko 90/2.0.

Dawid