Re: [OM] More managed bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] More managed bokeh
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:13:28 -0600
HA!  I think I used the "hair" as the focus point.  I'll let you work
with your shrink to resolve the hair issues.  Hmmm.  It seems to me
one of your first comments to Ken when we all met last fall was about
his hair.  Or maybe it was about how tall he was. (It doesn't matter.
Ken's actually short except that his hair makes him seem like he's
6'4".)

I don't like the halo effect either, but I don't know whether to say
"this lens just has bad bokeh" or whether I just needed to manage the
isolation differently.  Perhaps f7 or f5.6 instead of f8. Or f11?

Here is a photo made with the bokeh champ, Zuiko 90/2 on E-1:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/IRNP/Scoville%20Point%20Trail/slides/ir11.html

I don't like some of the halo-ing in this photo either, but I would
attribute it to my poor craftsmanship rather than to the lens.

In other words, I'm leaning more and more towards the notion that good
bokeh is quite a bit about skill, though I'm sure there are qualities
in the lenses that help it along.

Joel W.