[OM] BFTP [was Now that all is white]

Subject: [OM] BFTP [was Now that all is white]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 21:41:10 -0500

Thanks for your comments, Moose.  Just catching up on the list after a
trip followed by a 2 day lay-up with a gastroenteritis. The year is
looking up as it appears I am the first to be honored with a
Moosterization in 2009.

I agree that a stop more DOF would have helped 2 and 3--I should listen
to Dean more and use a monopod with slower film--for 2. Precisely
controlling an inch or so in the leaning while hand holding is not
always easy.  Number 8 was easy as it was 48 deg on a tripod and the
Monarch was barely moving.  I could have bracketed all variables five
times over.  The crop and enhancement are nice.
Marnie loves 4 and wants an 8X10 for her new office.  I think the
original scan is OK for that size with a bit of up res.  I did a trace
of LCE but didn't leave enough  head room on the center white part of
the flower.  We both like your version.  If you still have your
modifications, I'd very much like to have them.

Oh, speaking of backfocusing there is a new gizmo for those cams with
AF microadjustments--LensAlign.  There are much cheaper alternatives
that probably work, but it was interesting to know about.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/lensalign.shtml

Mike

I like the shallow DOF on 1 & 4. Less so on 7, where moving the focal
plane forward would, I think, look better, and 10, where both moving
the
plane forward and greater DOF would make it look better to my eye.

I'd also try seeing how 7, 8 & 10 look with at least some of the bottom
cropped off. The way you nailed the focus on 8, I think it would look
great cropped to a horizontal, so the lovely detail is highlighted.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Monarch2.htm>

I love 4, but I like it even better with some of the tonal detail in
the
highlights revealed and just a touch of sharpening at display size.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Usher/Flower1.htm>

2 and 3 aren't bad at the Zoto display size, but  illustrate that
back-focus is not solely the province of AF. ;-)   Composition is fine,
but they are too OOF for me at larger size.

Moose