[OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes

Subject: [OM] Birds, Bokeh, and DZes
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:18:43 -0600
I've been looking among recent photos for images that show the bokeh
qualities I like when working with the DZ 50-200.  Here's one that's
possibly serviceable:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99378213@N00/with/3168574152/

(You can force a larger image and better background by clicking the
slideshow icon.  Sorry for inflicting Flickr.)

I don't expect it to knock your socks off, but the bokeh is reasonably
pleasing to me.  It seems to me that 150mm is a fairly sweet spot,
with aperture in the range of 5.6 to 8, or even wider if the subject
doesn't require too much DOF.  This image was shot horizontally but
cropped vertically to produce an image that seemed somewhat more
interesting to me.  It was shot at ISO 800.  I didn't use NR as it
didn't seem to me to need any.  Your sensitivity may vary.

I've always sort of felt that bokeh is something managed and planned
for every bit as much as it is a quality associated with a lens  At
any rate, I tend to blame myself for jittery backgrounds (which has
probably saved me from drifting into Leica-land).

Joel W.