Re: [OM] My first roll self-development B&W film

Subject: Re: [OM] My first roll self-development B&W film
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 10:48:05 -0500
Moose is probably asleep so I'll answer.  You can find LCE (Local
Contrast Enhancement) described on Luminous Landscape here:
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml>
It's done using unsharp mask with unlikely parameters for typical
unsharp masking:  Amount — 20%, Radius — 50, Threshold — 0

But the description here (while not invented by him) actually originates
from Thomas Knoll who is the chief author of PhotoShop and ACR so it is
not unusual to find that it is now in ACR as well.  There it is known as
the "clarity" slider.  But my view of its effect in ACR is that it's
much subdued there relative to using the parameters above.  Moose uses
LCE on a separate layer so that he can control the strength of the
effect with the layer's opacity control.

According to Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe writing in "Real World Camera
Raw with Adobe PhotoShop CS3" the clarity slider's effect can be
simulated in PhotoShop by using unsharp mask on a separate layer with
parameters:    Amount — 15%, Radius — 100
"Then in the layer's Blend If option (double-click the layer icon),
select This Layer and split the highlight and shadows sliders to set the
blend range so that shadows blend from 0/100 and the highlights blend
from 127-255."

Chuck Norcutt