Re: [OM] HNY and its

Subject: Re: [OM] HNY and its
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:05:07 +0100
I wonder why English grammar is giving so much trouble to its native
speakers. All other languages that I have have been taught in (German,
French, Russian, Spanish) have much more grammar than the English
language. So do my own Dutch (and of course the Greek and Latin which
most of our languages more or less originate from).

English is very poor in grammar, so it must be easy to learn the few
rules that exist. It is very rich in idiom, but mistakes you make with
that have nothing to do with grammar. And the pronunciation is
sometimes bizar: no rules at all, I would say. Only experience will
teach you how to do it. My CEPD (Cambridge English Pronunciation
Dictionary) with CD helps a lot though.

For the grammar, I just don't understand 'your' problems with it. I
envy you for its simplicity!

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL

ps. I must add that I am happy being allowed some mistakes with the
English grammar, since I only adopted the language ;-)
When I am in London I am sometimes asked if I live in Scotland. I
always hesitate: is this to be assessed as a compliment or rather the
opposite...?