Re: [OM] E - 3 and tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] E - 3 and tripods
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:28:08 -0600
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Page 58 of the E-3 manual states as follows:
>
> "When shooting without looking through the viewfinder, close the eyepiece
> shutter to block the viewfinder so that light does not enter the viewfinder
> and change the exposure. Lift the eyepiece shutter lever."
>
> Question: has anyone done any research here to ascertain the extent of the
> light leak and the impact upon what would otherwise have been a correctly
> exposed image?

For my part, no actual research, but I was recently shooting sunsets
using the tripod.  I think it depends a lot on the amount of light at
the front of the camera as opposed to that coming over the shoulder.
I have not been having really good experience using the RM-1 to
trigger the shutter consistently, so I was shooting a mix of shots
with eye up to and away from the viewfinder.  I noticed no oddities in
exposure, but I rarely use anything but manual exposure settings in
this circumstance.

But maybe it's a good argument for using Live View when deploying a
tripod and when using auto exposure smarts.  This "problem" has been
with us since the E-1.  FWIW I like the E-3's little reminder message
to close the viewfinder screen and find it makes me much more
consistent about doing that.

Joel W.

Joel W.l