Re: [OM] What type film?

Subject: Re: [OM] What type film?
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 17:17:44 +0200
I second the recommendation for Ilford. I shoot only FP4 (ISO125) and
HP5 (ISO400). I currently have a roll of HP5 in my Mamiya RB which is
exposed
at ISO1600, but I don't think the results on a tiny 35mm negative
would look
all that great, even though I love film grain.

Both films are brilliant. Your exposure can be "out" by more than four
stops, and the
image comes out great. Complete opposite of, say, Fuji Velvia, which,
when I shoot it in
my Linhof with a complex set of centre-weighted and other filters on
the lens, is very difficult
to expose "correctly" taking all the factors into account.

With the B&W in the OM-1n, I love just taking a wild guess at the
exposure in some tricky situation,
and seeing when the film is developed that it captured it all in the
dynamic range.
When you use an incident meter to nail perfect exposure, it's even
better :-)

I must say, I have not tried the Kodak B&W films, they are very
difficult to find in South Africa.

But I am an absolute convert to monochrome photography, it is
wonderful. I have always been in my past digital
era, it's just so much better and more satisfying now.