Re: [OM] Minimalism competition: TOO COMPLEX!

Subject: Re: [OM] Minimalism competition: TOO COMPLEX!
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:20:50 +0200
Guys, I think Kens' proposal is getting way out of hands.
In my original post, I was lamenting the demise of the
pure shooting experience when I compare OM-1n + 90/2.0 Macro, compared
driving a E-3 + ZD 50/2.0 computer.

I was hoping to inspire some people to just go and re-experience the
joy of using the old OM equipment. Ken came up with the idea of a
shooting
event / competition, and I suggested the general topic of "Minimalism",
without saying anything further (let's see how people interpret it?)

Now, you guys are doing to this idea *exactly* what a DSLR wunderbrick
does to
the shooting experience - you are adding 20 buttons, a flip-out LCD,
10 artistic
scene modes, and a complex menu system.

Let's keep it simple eh? Let's go out in December, enjoy our OM
equipment any which way
you wish, and let's post the results somewhere in January and discuss
it.
Let's see how we interpret "minimalism" if we are forced to use such a
minimalist
camera.

And, in this regard (as per my original post, the shooting
experience), a Zuiko 90/2.0
macro is no less minimalist than a 50/1.8 - neither have AF or image
stabilisation,
both force YOU to make the decisions. And of course a humdrum 50/1.8
is actually better than
a 90/2.0 Macro stopped down, if you recall the test years back which
found it to be basically
the highest-resolving lens ever tested at f/8 or so.

Just another fantastic part of the OM experience. Where else do you
find the smallest, cheapest
standard lens that people happily buy to use as bodycaps, also turns
out to be one of the greatest
lenses to be found. It just happens to be at a "boring" focal length.

I am not sure whether all this weighted scores etc. will inspire
anybody to go and enjoy
simplicity. Let's just put up a gallery in january, where we can post
and discuss images made
with OM/Film only, with a bit of the photographer's thoughts and
experience as to why it
captures the idea of "minimalism" put down as text. (as well as
equipment used and technique).

In short, why not just make this another TOPE, but limited to OM only,
with the theme of
minimalism? This list already has the platform for al of this, no need
to go and do something
new and complex. ESPECIALLY since Ken has so stubbornly denied to
offer his OM-3Ti has prize :-)
Only then could I see the need for complex rules.

Anybody feel the same? Just go have fun. I can't wait for my 300/4.5
to arrive to try it out
during December.

cheers and greetings to all,
Dawid