Re: [OM] PacNW sunsets

Subject: Re: [OM] PacNW sunsets
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 02:24:37 -0800
Chris Barker wrote:
> Our mountains are lovely mountains (:-))
As you say ...

> I love the Rockies, if only they weren't so far away, and I recognise their
> relative youth and jaggedness, but it's the way they seem to sit in your
> photos like an overlay.

The Olympics are nothing like the scale of the Rockies, but have a
rugged profile. The effect may be partially the relatively unusual
perspective. The shots are from somewhere over 40 miles away and the
mountains seem taller than the are, what with their profile and snow and
ice. I assume you are talking about the last two shots. With 300mm lens
shot from far away, yet without the "looking upwards" angle seen with
taller mountains, they do look unusual.

> I had wondered if you had not gone overboard with your sharpening or LCE.

Always a possibility with me. But consider the above, as well. When the
weather is clear, they are a big presence. Of course, it's Seattle, so
that's not all that often. :-)  We had what we were told was far more
than our fair share of good weather for that time of year. A clear day
is really impressive, with large mountains in all directions.

I'll likely be posting some different views of the Olympics.

Moose