Re: [OM] Minimalism competition

Subject: Re: [OM] Minimalism competition
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:39:41 +0200
Hmm... I would imagine it's a more purpose-driven and specific
competition if using
manual-only cameras, but if there is enough interest for using 2's and
4's
then so be it...?

If we let loose on the OM gear that can be used, then I do think some
specific
guidelines around the subject matter are in order. So, does everybody
think
"minimalism" makes for a good topic for the subject matter?

It would be interesting to see how you all interpret such a topic
photographically -

Lastly, any idea around time frames? Perhaps its a good idea to look
at results after December,
since during this holiday period many people will have a lot of time
to photograph, but not
to process and think about things.

And our enlarger's timer is still busted :-) *and* I still need to
learn to do hand printing
properly...

P.S. I really do feel that it would be preferable to limit to OM-1 and
OM-3 (all-mechanical
bodies) - not because the result necessarily looks any different from
the electronic bodies, but
because it was my rant on the photographic process with an OM-1/3 -
which we have somehow "lost"
with modern equipment - which got this idea started, and those bodies
exemplify that process.
Not only that, they enforce it. Even though, of course, we can follow
it with any other body.

I have been doing manual exposure + incident metering for quite some
time with my 9FPS Canon EOS,
which is why I could let it go so easily. But it's somehow not the
same thing.

Your thoughts? And Wayne, I don't think an OM-3 has any advantage over
an OM-4 in terms of producing
the photographic result, so there may not be anything to see...