Re: [OM] Oly Master on Mac

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly Master on Mac
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:17:00 -0800
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Ken, do you have a version of DCRAW that outputs a 16-bit TIFF?  I played
> with UFRaw (which uses DCRAW engine) with E-3 ORF files and liked it but
> couldn't get it to save in 16-bit -- 8-bit only.

Dcraw has 16 bit built-in. Whether a particular app that uses all or
part of dcraw implements that is their own choice. Raw Therapee and
VueScan both do so.

RawTherapee is free and provides a rather contemporary style interface
with all the sliders and adjustments one is likely to want.
<http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=2>

When used directly (option -4), dcraw outputs a 16 bit TIFF with linear
luminance, i.e. gamma of 1.0, so it looks very dark in most viewers and
requires gamma change in post.

There is an very useful tutorial on dcraw here.
<http://www.guillermoluijk.com/tutorial/dcraw/index_en.htm>

Moose