Re: [OM] One Roll, One Lens, One Hour

Subject: Re: [OM] One Roll, One Lens, One Hour
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:58:30 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

> This photo project was to load one roll of Fuji Superia 100 color print film
> in the OM-3Tiwith a 50mm lens and restrict myself to one hour in downtown
> Grinnell, Iowa. The roll is being presented in its entirety, warts and all.
> No editing, cropping or parsing the outtakes. Images are presented in the
> order they were taken.

Nice idea for a project. Unless, of course, one looks at the results and
says "Sheesh, this is crap! I've no photographic imagination anymore, if
I ever had any. I'm packing it in." Those sort of thoughts occur to me
on occasion when I see the results of an outing. :-)

 From the looks of the results, Grinnell was a tough challenge to set
yourself. Given the lens chosen, I think I'd have made fewer "here's a
shot down an empty street" shots and several close-up/macros. I can see
where you might think that would be a cop out, though.

Is there a reason most of the shots of people on the street have their
backs to you?  ;-)   I guess the kid didn't get the memo?

One thing puzzles me, though. C.H. put it very well.

> ... All the scans are very high-keyed with blowout highlight details, a bit
> hard to view. This is the problem for one hour labs as their scans are
> optimised for their printing machine.

I can see clearly the rationale for all the other "warts and all"
factors, but why put the images at the mercy of crappy scanning? I have
no idea about your reason(s), but from out here, it's very off-putting.
I really had to force myself to look more carefully at the subjects and
compositions. Some are literally hard to look at, and invite being
rapidly scanned past.

Even the relatively mundane look better with some correction.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Grinnell/Grinnell4.htm>

And it's a lot easier to enjoy the wonderful aspects of a nice people
snap if the background isn't screaming.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Grinnell/Grinnell1.htm>

Whatever editor you use, isn't it possible to batch process the whole
lot of them to bring the tonality into some sort of order?

I particularly liked "Self-portrait in the window of an antique store."
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Grinnell/Grinnell21.htm>

It reminded me of when I had the same idea.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Brooklyn/People/All%20People/slides/_MG_3401cr.html>

Moose