Re: [OM] On free film...

Subject: Re: [OM] On free film...
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:01:22 -0600
 >I can say the 100/2 is my favourite OM lens.

Whenever Joel and I get together he drags out his 100/f2 in an effort to put
my lowly 100/f2.8 to shame.  :)  I've shot with it side-by-side with mine.
The f2 lens is absolutely remarkable!!!!  The image color is spot-on and the
sharpness is incredible.  I didn't want to use it for very long as I wished
to not be overcome with "lens-envy".

However,

There are a several things I noted:

1. The 100/f2 doesn't balance on the camera like the 100/f2.8 does.  The
f2.8 lens is a much better match for the mass and size of the OM body.  I
think the f2.8 lens is far easier to handhold than the f2.

2. The aperture ring is in back.  I know I'm going to have to be retaught
with the 35-80, but I've been way to accustomed to having the aperture ring
at the nose of the lens.

3. Contrast of the f2 lens is even and smooth over the enter expanse of the
image and dynamic range. The f2.8 lens (at least my mid-life design) has an
interesting "contrast-enhancement" feature which some could mistake for
flare, but isn't.  It makes brighter objects stand out from the background
by further raising the value of it.  It also has some unusual "USM" optical
trait.  Weird, but true.  I've wondered if my whacking it against the side
of my truck in anger (long story) had anything to do with it. (what an
idiot).  For all I know, my 100/2.8 is severely optically flawed.

If I was into "exacting work" and needed a perfect "true" lens, the 100/f2
would definitely be at the front of the OM line in accomplishing it.
Personally, I think my 100/f2.8 is a bit more "artistic" and meets my vision
better.  I like how the f2.8 lens "suggests" compositions, whereas the f2
lens is a bit more obedient. The older f2.8 tends to be like a gifted
child--brilliant, but full of surprises. Usually not what you expect, but
frequently beyond your imagination.

If a person were to ask me "which should I buy" and they had no financial
reason to choose one over the other, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest the
100/2.  The older 100/2.8 is far too compromised of a lens for all
purposes.  The last generation 100/f2.8 MC lens is "creative neutral", like
the 100/f2, but lacks that contrast-enhancement functionality of my copy.
If money were no object and a person wanted a medium telephoto, the 100/f2
is best of breed, followed by the 85/f2.  The 90/f2 is terrific, but not
perfect.  The 100/f2.8 is the sleeper of the bunch, but not everybody's cup
of tea. A last generation 100/f2.8 lens should be indistinguishable in all
areas except for maximum aperture and overall sharpness.

Personally, I prefer the smaller, lighter f2.8 lens as optically it is a
close match to the 85/2 and it fits in my rather tight camera bag, but most
people don't seem to be bothered by size and weight.

AG