Re: [OM] Electrical Part Help

Subject: Re: [OM] Electrical Part Help
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 19:51:09 +0100
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 08:46:09 -0800, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>If you're interested in functionality over restoration, there exists
>another path: leave it on its brightest setting and run the whole
>thing through a plug-in dimmer that you can find in many hardware
>stores.

Be careful here. There is a 110/220 to 6 volt (or probably 8 volt for
increased brightness) transformer between the wall outlet and the
lamp. Regular dimmers must not be used with transformers. I think this
is because of the phase shifts. But dedicated 'halogen dimmers' will
do the job indeed. However Charlie wanted to have the original set-up
restored because of his lack of desktop space.

Frank.